Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

My boss is away until after the long weekend, so I'll be working two Saturdays in a row. Not a hardship by any means, but I am so spoiled normally having a four day weekend every second week. On a positive note, she has left me her vehicle which makes life so much easier when there are errands to run.

Been working on my Chinese wedding piece and it's going well, but all the red is going to be pretty monotonous I think. Oh well, I'll survive.

Cargoes

Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir
Rowing home to haven in sunny Palestine,
With a cargo of ivory,
And apes and peacocks,
Sandalwood, cedarwood, and sweet white wine.

Stately Spanish galleon coming from the Isthmus,
Dipping through the Tropics by the palm-green shores,
With a cargo of diamonds,
Emeralds, amethysts,
Topazes, and cinnamon, and gold moidores.

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rail, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

John Masefield
1878 - 1967

No comments: