Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

It's been a running around kind of day. Spent a couple of hours working on Sisters' books this morning and then I was off. First a stop at my favourite news stand, then the Royal Bank for Sisters' business. City Hall to pick up my bus pass for August, then Sisters to give out a pay cheque and put some things away, then the Bank of Montreal to pay my rent. Treated myself to lunch at Fairview Restaurant, then up to the hospital pharmacy to pick up my Tamoxifen. They've moved the pharmacy and it's a little tricky to find as it is behind a door that says, in very large letters, "No Admittance". Now that's a head scratcher. Finally to Overwaitea for my weekly grocery shopping - some really good prices on fresh fruit so I have cherries, nectarines and kiwi in my fridge at the moment.

This is favourite anthology poem #375 and I remember my Dad teaching it to me when I was 5 or 6. I thought it was terribly funny back then. Never thought of it as a poem that would show up in a lot of anthologies. Anyone else remember this?

The Purple Cow

I never saw a Purple Cow,
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

Gelett Burgess
1866 - 1951

Apparently Mr. Burgess wasn't all that thrilled with the attention it got, so a few years later, 5 presumably, he wrote this.

Cinq Ans Apres

Ah, yes! I wrote the "Purple Cow"--
I'm Sorry, now, I Wrote it!
But I can Tell you, Anyhow,
I'll Kill you if you Quote it!

No comments: