Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2015

It's Almost Christmas!


For quite a few years I only did minimal decorating at Christmas because my space was very cramped. Well here in my new place I have a proper living room and thought I might do a bit more this Christmas. At least make it look like the person who lives here enjoys the season! (Haven't found all my Christmas stuff yet, but I didn't do too badly.)

First the tree being guarded by my Julbukk. I only set up small trees - the cats aren't tempted to climb them. The Julbukk was made by my craft partner Cynthia who is slowly introducing me to parts of her Norwegian heritage.


And a close up of my Christmas spider on the tree skirt. Usually he sits IN the tree, but you can't see him in the silver.


I'm not sure if you all know the legend, so here it is.

"A long time ago in Germany a mother was busy cleaning up for Christmas. The spiders fled upstairs to the attic to escape the broom. When the house became quiet the spiders slowly crept downstairs for a peek. Oh, what a beautiful tree! In their excitement they scurried up the trunk and out along each branch. They were filled with happiness as they climbed amongst the glittering beauty. But alas! By the time they were through climbing, the tree was completely shrouded in their dusty grey spider web. When Santa Claus came with the gifts for the children and saw the tree covered with spider webs, he smiled as he saw how happy the spiders were, but he knew how heartbroken the mother would be if she saw the tree covered with the dusty webs. So he turned the webs to silver and gold. The tree sparkled and shimmered and was even more beautiful than before. That's why we have tinsel on our trees and why every tree should have a Christmas spider in its branches."

My handicraft trees.


And Father Christmas with the mailbox and cards.


I just love this doll - the only thing that is not handmade on him is the little bugle hanging out of his pack.

My mini Nativity, again made by Cynthia.


The odd thing was, the year she gave me this, I gave her an embroidered Nativity.


Sorry, not the best quality shot, but it's a picture of a picture. I made this a number of years before I started taking pictures of my finished projects, so Cynthia took a picture for me, invaded by one of her Abyssinian cats.

And my main Nativity.


Throw in a few stockings hung off bookcases and it definitely feels like Christmas!

10 comments:

diamondc said...

Merry Christmas Bea: Love your decorations, lovely.

Catherine

http://top-essays-uk.com/ said...

Merry Christmas! I really love the story about the spider. I haven't heard such an explanation. My mom told me once that the spider should be hung on the branch in order to be a symbol of peace and quietness in the house. I think she just made us be obedient by this story, as we screamed and yelled all the time. My sister didn't want to give me her toys and I didn't share mine:)
Sincerely,
Margaret Klark

cucki said...

Aww such a sweet story about the spider ..I heard is first time and it's truly a ferry sweet thing to know about it.
I love your decorations so much ..so cute
Merry Christmas my dear xx

Tiffstitch said...

Awesome! Great decorations and thanks for the legend about the Christmas spider.

Melinda Forbes said...

What a wonderful Spider story -- That is new to me, but I must find a spider for my tree and share the story.

Thank you for sharing

Vickie said...

I had never read the spider story either. Thanks for sharing Bea.
Your home looks great!

Katie said...

What a fantastic post. I wish you a very Merry Christmas. Thanks for sharing the spider story. I had actually made a little beaded spider like that and forgot why. He is now on my Christmas tree and I can smile when I see him and remember his story.

Julie said...

Your home looks very festive.
Blessings to you this Christmas season

Faith... said...

Your decorations look beautiful Bea! So glad that you have room to set out all your lovely things so you could share them with us. Merry Christmas!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your new home looks very festive, quite Scandinavian too!
Love the spider story, my Mum would freak out if I placed a spider anywhere near our tree!
I like that so many of your decorations have a personal touch to them too.