Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Finishes!

Let's start with the Gladiolus finish that I promised a picture of yesterday. Pattern by Ellenn Maurer-Stroh from her Flower of the Month series, done on 28 count Quaker cloth with DMC threads.




















Here is the finished pillow for Jennifer's grad, with a back view below. The tassel is done in U.Vic. colours which are blue, red and gold.


































And here is the finished pillow for Katherine. Again, the tassel is done in U.B.C. colours which are blue and grey.


Both these pillows were sewn by my craft partner Cynthia and she did such a fantastic job with both. I could not be more thrilled with how they look. She is the most awesome seamstress. A lot of the stitching was done by hand so she could make the front seams as invisible as possible.

On a Girdle

That which her slender waist confined,
Shall now my joyful temples bind;
No monarch but would give his crown,
His arms might do what this has done.

It was my heaven's extremest sphere,
The pale which held that lovely deer;
My joy, my grief, my hope, my love,
Did all within this circle move!

A narrow compass! and yet there
Dwelt all that's good, and all that's fair!
Give me but what this riband bound,
Take all the rest the sun goes round!

Edmund Waller
1606 - 1687

Note: in the 1600s a girdle was a belt or sash, not a garment that shaped the figure.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Both pillows are lovely! Yay for Prince Rupert!! I'm from Prince George and have traveled to PR before. My cousins live up there. Love that stitched flower!!

AprilFoole99 said...

Bea, the pillows are beautiful! I love to stitch, but am very unsure of my skills to make something of a finished pattern besides getting them framed. Again, beautiful work!

Marilyn