Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Well, I'm feeling much better today - think I'm over the worst.

Spent a large chunk of yesterday doing back ups of files on my old computer. It's taking longer than I thought it would, but I don't want to change to my new one until this is done. It's interesting to see what I've kept over the years - and there was a bit of head scratching as I tried to remember what on earth caused me to keep a few things!

It's interesting with the poems lately - since they are based on popularity in anthologies sometimes you get groups of poems with a particular theme or a particular point of view.

next to of course god america i

"next to of course god america i
love you land of the pilgrims' and so forth oh
say can you see by the dawn's early my
country 'tis of centuries come and go
and are no more what of it we should worry
in every language even deafanddumb
thy sons acclaim your glorious name by gorry
by jingo by gee by gosh by gum
why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead
who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter
they did not stop to think they died instead
then shall the voice of liberty be mute?"

He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water.

e.e. cummings
1894 - 1962

No comments: