Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's The Weight Thing!

Well, as much as I would like to keep procrastinating, it's time to get to the reason I really wanted to start regular blogging again - my weight. Between just being lazy and not being serious about watching what I eat, I've turned myself morbidly obese. What an ugly phrase that is, but not as ugly as what it's done to me. So, with the cancer scare, the diabetes and all the aches and pains, I'm committed to doing something about the weight. It's daunting - I have a total of 265 pounds to lose (as of 1 Jan 2010) and I know it's going to take a LONG time. As a plus, as of today I've lost 34.5 of that. However, most of that was not because I was working at it, but because of the cancer treatments and not caring if I ate or not. That is not something you can sustain for a long period.

So, the immediate plan is to change two things - start walking at least 2 days a week and work on portion control with my food. I thought hard about starting a more traditional diet, but they have never worked for me before. So, I've hauled out my diabetic food charts with portion sizes and how many per meal and that's where I'll start. And I have a good friend who has volunteered to walk with me and give me an encouraging push when I need it.

I'm really hoping I can do this - my track record for weight management is terrible!

No comments: