Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Memory Triggers

Ever notice how memories can be triggered by unexpected things? I was wandering around a favourite website (http://dragondreams.accra.ca/) a few days ago and came across an illustration of a little winged creature under a mushroom which made me think of the opening line of a poem I had read eons ago in school "Under a toadstool crept a wee elf, out of the rain to shelter himself" and there I was stuck - couldn't remember any more of it except that it had a rather cute ending. So, the search was on and I finally found it. It's by Oliver Herford entitled The Elf and the Dormouse.

"Under a toadstool crept a wee Elf,
Out of the rain to shelter himself.

Under the toadstool, sound asleep,
Sat a big Dormouse all in a heap.

Trembled the wee Elf, frightened and yet
Fearing to fly away lest he get wet.

To the next shelter -- maybe a mile!
Sudden the wee Elf smiled a wee smile.

Tugged till the toadstool toppled in two
Holding it over him, gaily he flew.

Soon he was safe home, dry as could be.
Soon woke the Dormouse -- 'Good gracious me!

Where is my toadstool?' loud he lamented.
--And that's how umbrellas first were invented."

No comments: